iPads: Tapping into Technology
©2014 Brigid Finucane, Merit School of Music, Chicago, IL
NINE THINGS TO KNOW
1.WHAT’S NEW 2. RETINA: Is it worth it? 3. THERE’S AN APP FOR FREE APPS!
4. APPS: Group similar apps together 5. SPACE: Go big! 6. MUSIC 7. PHOTOS
8.SCREEN SHOTS 9.RECORDING WITH AN iPad 2+
NAfME’s National Music Standards / THEN:
1.Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, other arts, & disciplines outside the
arts. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
-Singing Time ©Rose Fyleman. I wake in the morning early…
-Singing position – Hands placed on top of head, back straight. Float arms down to side.
1. WAKING UP OUR EARS: Sound Detectives ©Brigid Finucane.
Lyrics: Sounds, sounds are all around. What do you hear with your ear, dear?
New on the scene: Sound Touch Videos. Themes include: Animals, Birds, Bugs & Insects, Musical
Instruments, Vehicles, Wildlife.
2. TUNING UP – Accurate Pitch. Solo, Duet, Trio, Quartet. Recording& Assessing
-APPS: Awesome Xylophone ($1.99). Multi-touch supported. Lite (FREE) version available.
-ABC- Magnetic Alphabet HD –Learn to Write! For Kids ($1.99). Lite version available.
3. INTRODUCTIONS: GETTING TO KNOW YOU
HOW PUNG YO (Looking For A Friend) / Traditional Chinese Folk Song – Three versions.
-YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnCR9Ij4CY. Lyrics: Looking (x3) for,
Now I’ve found a good friend. I bow to you, I shake your hand. You are my good friend.
4. COMPARATIVES: HIGH-LOW- Vocal Glides. Conducting. High-Low Book
Activity: Vocal glides. High/ Low Story – Adapted from “Fortunately” by Remy Charlip
-APPS: Kids Doodle – Movie Kids Color & Draw (FREE)+ adds. Kids Doodle Pro (.99) – no adds.
5. COMPARATIVES: PIANO (Soft) & FORTE (Loud) – Lullabies. Book: Marla Frazee’s version.
Activity: Hush Little Baby (book). Flashcards created with APP: ABC Magnetic Alphabet HD.
-ITunes: Comparative listening examples
-SoundHound (FREE). “What’s that song?” APP searches for matches, links to iTunes, offers
“look up lyrics” option, and links to “more videos” on YouTube.
-WatchLater (FREE - 2.99): Yo Yo Ma & Bobby McFerrin
6. STACCATO (Short and separate) & LEGATO (Smooth and connected)
-APPS: KidsDoodle (FREE) - Staccato and legato drawing. Song: Jump Josie.
-ITunes: St. Saëns Carnival of the Animals. Movement Connection. Visual Art Connection: Air draw while learning song. Draw to music on paper. Take a gallery walk. Apply concepts to Other Music.
7. INTRODUCING MUSIC, STYLES & MUSICIANS THROUGH YOUTUBE VIDEOS
8. ORCHESTRA FAMILY APP -Meet the Orchestra ($1.99)
9. INSTRUMENTS – HYBRID APPS
8. INSTRUMENT APPS –Accompaniment and Student Play Recommendations
ACCOMPANIMENT STUDENT PLAY
9. LITERACY BOOKS & PICTURE CARDS – Screen Shots Rule
Captions APPS: Multi-Frames
-Pic Collage (FREE) – has text
1. Picture Cards/ Screen Shots 2. Listening – Books: - Pachelbel’s Canon in D. Snow- G.Winston’s The Holly & The Ivy. From: M.B. Hooton. Sing, Pierrot Sing- Clair de Lune, Come to the Meadow
NOW WHAT? Post-Conference Resources
I. FINDING FREE APPS – There’s an app for that!
-AppPriceDrops by Apple Sliced. Sets price alerts! http://applesliced.com
-AppsGonefree. Well curated, though emphasis on gaming.
II. NEWSLETTERS, WEBSITES, ARTICLES, ONLINE JOURNALS
-Joanna Sisk-Purvis on 2/7/12. PREZI. http://motleymuse.blogspot.com/
-Cool Mom Tech: http://coolmomtech.com/category/best-apps/
-Midnight Music: http://www.midnightmusic.com.au/category/music-tech-tips/
Please contact me with any questions:
Brigid Finucane * 847-213-0713 * email@example.com
Merit School of Music, 38 S. Peoria St., Chicago, IL 60607. 312-786-9428.
http://prekandksharing.blogspot.com: Cooperative blog. post date: 18th of each month
More complete information on many of these apps and activities can be found in my posts.
*CMN Conference handouts are on this site